The government of Ghana has made it mandatory for all Ghanaian citizens to re-register their mobile SIM cards with their Ghana Cards.
The Ghana Card is to be made the sole form of identification document in the country in years to come.
Following this directory, the various telecommunication networks have put measures in place to make the process easy and fast for their respective customers.
Keep reading to find out how to register your SIM card by yourself without having to visit the office of your mobile network.
How do I register my SIM with Ghana Card by myself?
No matter the mobile network you use, Self Registration has made it easy for everyone to re-register their SIM cards with their Ghana cards right from the comfort of their homes using their phones.
There are two processes for doing the re-registration process; through the website of your mobile network or by dialing a mobile short code and following the prompts.
The following are step by step guides on how to go about the SIM re-registration process using both methods:
How to Register your SIM card with Ghana Card using the mobile short code
- Dial *404# on your mobile phone and wait for the next prompt.
- Input your phone number in the box provided.
- Next, enter your Ghana card PIN without the hyphens.
- Confirm your Ghana card PIN.
- Next, provide your Surname.
- The next requirement is your First name.
- Afterwards, enter your date of birth in the format: DD/MM/YYYY.
Note: This method has no way of capturing your biometric data, therefore, you will still need to visit the nearest office of your mobile network provider to complete the rest of the process.
How to register your SIM card with Ghana Card via website portal
- Visit the SIM card registration portal on the official website app of your mobile network. (i.e Vodafone, MTN, AirtelTigo, etc.)
- The home page will display a form, Enter your phone number to receive an OTP code.
- Submit the OTP code and wait for the next stage of the process.
- Next, input your Surname and First name in the spaces provided.
- Enter your Ghana card PIN (figures and letters) without the hyphens.
- Upload clear and full images of the front and back views of your Ghana Card.
- Next, you will be asked to show your fingers for the biometric scan.
- Fulfill the rest of the requirements to successfully link your Ghana Card to your SIM card.
To conclude, all Ghanaians are strongly encouraged to re-register their SIM cards with their Ghana cards. This system will help increase the level of security in the nation as well as help the nation take a big step forward in digitalization.
Also, the government threatens to cut off all SIM cards that have not been re-registered after a few months.